Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cocktail Wednesday

So, I'm a little late with the cocktail updates -- I had to get these in before tomorrow when we have a new one... 

Two weeks ago, the cocktail was a Lemon Drop.  I'd never had one before, but was assured by those who know, that it would be a good one to try.  I went with this recipe.

My ingredients, modified only slightly:

1 1/2 ounces vodka 
1/2 ounce orange liqueur (Triple Sec)
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 ounce freshly-squeezed lemon juice

Ice cubes
Sugar for dipping
Twisted peel of lemon



Yes, the bottle of vodka really is that big.  Vodka, Costco style, and because it's such a bad picture you can't really tell that we're at the end of it ..

Again I used my fancy plastic martini glasses.  I thought this one was good, a 4 out of 5.  It was a little strong for me.

Last week's drink was a Shamrocker.  The recipe was from here.

Since no one in my house is a Tequila fan, I modified it to use vodka instead.
  • 1 part vodka
  • 1 part melon liqueur 
  • 1/2 part triple sec
  • Splash of orange juice



Not my favorite.  Maybe it would have been better with the tequila.  However, it's really pretty and I used my new glasses.








4 comments:

Marg said...

I think all of the drinks we've been trying are really strong at first, but after a couple of sips they seem to go down pretty well. I liked the Lemon Drop.
I forgot to buy orange juice for the Shamrocker and didn't substitute it with anything else, boy was that strong!

Katie said...

I am pretty sure lemon drops traditionally don't have the orange liquor

Shay said...

The lemon drop was a favourite of mine . I agree with Marg - straight liquor (and thats pretty much what we're drinking here ) rocks your tastebuds for the first sip and then seems to mellow out the more you drink....

Kate said...

Both were certainly pretty drinks. It's been fun to hear what you all have to say about your attempts.

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...