However, after finishing the top, my YD and I went to the fabric store to pick out the backing fabric. While doing this I learned that her friend was having a girl, not a boy. So my effort to make the quit more boy-ish, though effective, gave me a quilt that I couldn't give her.
So we got more fabric.
I decided to do a four patch (I think that's what it's called). I sewed four 3.5 inch strips together and then cut them in 3.5 inch horizontal strips and then began to sew them together -- but first I put them on my design wall to see how they would look.
Pretty but .. looks a little too much like candy canes, so I pulled them down and went with these four fabrics instead:
I included two small blocks from my original "mint" fabric.
It went together really fast. So here is what it looked like yesterday after I basted it ...
and finally, the finished project.