Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Quilter Meet & Greet

I have never done this sort of thing before (unless you count Favorite Things Friday ... ) but I am participating in a Quilting Meet & Greet being hosted by Victoriana Quilt Designs.  Please make sure to go to the main Meet & Greet post.

I started quilting just over ten years ago (can it be that long ago?).  When my first grandson was born I wanted to make him a quilt, so I asked a couple of my friends who quilt for help.  They helped me with the fabric selection, the cutting, and maybe even the tying -- I didn't actually quilt my first quilt.

Here's a picture of that quilt.


I enjoyed the process and the final product.  I like making things and giving gifts that are one of a kind.  Prior to quilting, I was into cross stitch and then knitting and crocheting.  Those things were rewarding, but there is something about quilting that I love .. but .. I didn't want to jump into it too fast and end up with tons of fabric and books .. like all the knitting supplies and cross stitch books I purchased... so I decided to take it slowly.  I only bought fabric for the quilts I was going to make.  I finished each quilt before starting another .. initially ..  now things are a little different.  I have a fabric stash.  I have books.  I even have some unfinished projects.

Around the time I started quilting, I also started blogging.  Well, actually I started blogging in 2007, a few years before my first quilt.  But once I started quilting, I needed to have ideas of what to do next.  So, rather than buy books, I started looking on line and eventually I found some quilting blogs.  When I found a blog with quilts I liked, I followed that blogger, and then I followed the bloggers that that blogger was following, and so on.

When it comes to the quilts, I really struggle with picking colors, so I frequently go with rather plain colors or add a lot of white, or I imitate what someone else has done.  I enjoy the piecing and seeing it all come together.  However, once I get the quilt pieced and basted, I really want it to be finished .. so at that point I kind of go crazy and quilt until it's done.  Most of the quilts I have made are baby quilts, they are smaller and faster and are great gifts.  Here are a few:





Anyway, I love making quilts (and giving them away).  Please take the time to visit all the other quilters in the meet & greet.  I hope you can find ones (quilts and blogs) that will inspire you and encourage you (and remember to click on the bottom button to enter the grand prize drawing).

https://benitaskinner.blogspot.com/2018/09/2018-online-quilters-meet-greet.html

https://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/fabric/

Here's a peak at my most recent project -- I have to be finished with this one by mid-October ...


30 comments:

rosemaryschild said...

Oh my, I was also into crss stitch, knitting & crochet before I attempted my first quilt in 2016! My favorite part is gathering the fabric, my least favorite is FMQ - which is much to be appreciated, but I will eventually get there! What wonderful quilts! Thank you, Susan

Jennifer said...

That giraffe is TOO cute! thanks for sharing and so good to meet you.

Denise :) said...

Enjoyed reading about and meeting you!! :)

karenbbsnow said...

Like you when I started quilting I always finished one before starting the next. ...not any more :) Your quilts are cute, baby quilts are always fun to make, and to give away.

Nancy J said...

Lovely giraffe, and super quilting that shows him off so well. The latest lot of blocks is so gentle, and wonderful laid out on a bed.

Jereena said...

Stopping to say hi from Meet & Greet. Nice projects you have. Love the giraffe blocks. I wish I could only buy fabrics I need. My stash is my inspiration most of the time, other times its just clutter.

Diane H said...

Beautiful quilts! Love the quilting around the giraffe.

Kate said...

You've made some very cute and very fun quilts. You were one of the first blogs I followed when I started blogging XX years ago. Good luck with your current project!

Bonnie said...

Yes, your giraffe is really cute. I like the new design evolving -- simple but very nice. I find I am making much more simple quilts than I did -- say 10 years ago. On the other hand we can make more simple quilts than intricate ones!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

The giraffe quilts are so cute!! It's wonderful to meet you!

Tammy said...

Lovely to meet you and your blog. Love your projects.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What lucky babies in your life!! Best of luck with finishing your most recent.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Nice to meet you Thea! Love your Giraffe quilt, and others ;)

Jo said...

It is an addictive hobby. But at least you have gifts at the end of a make. I'm sure we all have UFO's

Carol Swift said...

That giraffe is so, so cute! Thanks for sharing your sweet quilts.

Cheryl said...

Nice to meet you! Beautiful quilts!

Unknown said...

I love the blue and brown quilt. Glad to know you have UFO's too.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Nice to meet you, visiting from the Meet and Greet. Doesn't everyone have UFOs, LOL!!

Beth said...

You sound like a typical quilter, saying that you love to make quilts and give them away. It's such a delight to create something and then give it to someone you love, or to a stranger who will love it, right?

Suze said...

I was a cross stitcher and am a knitter - mostly of dishcloths. Thanks for participating in the Meet and Greet.

wendy said...

Enjoyed meeting you and seeing your quilts. thank you for sharing!

Sandi1100 said...

I still am a cross stitcher and I also like to make cards but quilting is my favorite. Your quilts are lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Baby quilts are fun to make for sure. I love the giraffe - our grandson would love it too because right now he's 'in' to giraffes. Thank you for having us over for a visit.

Benita Skinner said...

I enjoyed seeing your quilts and reading about you, Thea.
Thanks for being part of the Quilters Meet & Greet! <3

LJ said...

I wish I could say that I have ONLY a few UFOs. Congrats on keeping control of yours. You didn't say whether you use a domestic or a longarm quilting machine. Either way, it's wonderful that you do it ALL.

Nancy J said...

Your giraffe is wonderful, but the last one, on the bed, gentle, subtle, and a lot of thought in choosing those fabrics. Love it.

Meloney said...

I have so much yarn and cross stitch stuff. It is too much for me to keep up with. What about the sequin stockings....
Love your giraffe.

OhioLori said...

Love the Giraffe!!! All your quilts are SUPER!! So is the one you're working on now..for mid October!! Hope you post about it when finished :)

Nann said...

It's been such fun to get to know other quilt bloggers on this month's M&G. Nice to meet you, Thea!

Anne said...

I am like you. I struggle with color....but I keep going. I check out Instagram now and then for color inspiration. I am a slow quilter but enjoy the process because in the end, I can give the quilt away and make someone smile! You mentioned that’s your favorite part too. Bravo!

2024 - Week 8 - Feb 19 - 25

  Feb 21 - Nevada's Teddy Feb 22 - more of Teddy   Feb 24 - a new tent    Feb 25 - Popovers