Sunday, October 23, 2022
Cookie #3 is the snickerdoodle. I'm not sure I have ever eaten a snickerdoodle before, so I'm not 100% sure about how they taste. However, I think they turned out.
Picture from the book.
2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
8 T. butter (softened)
8 T. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. cinammon
After preparing the dough, I put the it in the fridge to keep it cold while I was baking the other cookies. I cut the cook time a few minutes. I also used less dough than the recipe called for because the bigger cookies seemed to flatten out more.
The cookies turned out pretty good.
However, again, the cookies were a little flat. And again -- not sure the issue. I'm still not sure my oven temperature is right or that my butter was the right temperature. Nevada says the butter is the issue -- she's probably right. Still working it out.
These cookies were pretty good. They stayed soft, probably because I cooked them five minutes less than the recipe called for.
Thursday, October 20, 2022
Our cookie for last week was the Coffee Toffee cookie. Because these cookies had toffee and one of my favorite cookie also has toffee, I was going to make them both: the first on Friday night and the second on Saturday. I went to the grocery store Friday after work and bought what I needed for both cookies. However, when I went to make the Coffee Toffee cookies on Friday, I realized that I had forgotten a main ingredient -- the instant espresso mix. So I didn't do any baking on Friday.
Saturday, I went to the store, again, to find the instant espresso but couldn't find it. I then went to Home Goods (no luck there) and then Target -- and hooray, they had it.
and it was super cheap - $.99 per package of six.
Anyway, by this time I had already decided to make the other cookies (my YD and SIL's favorite). So I did. Recipe can be found here. Here is the picture from the website.
this is what my cookies looked like:
Anyway, these cookies are divine.
Monday, October 17, 2022
My goals for the coming week are:
1. Vaccuum -- I thought this was an easy one last week, but somehow it didn't happen. Oops.
2. Make cookies -- I did make cookies last week, but not the right ones. This week I'll make the cookies I should have made last week.
3. Finish making blocks for Mackenzie's quilt. I don't have that many more.
4. Hang 2 pictures. (If I keep putting it on here, I'll have to do it, right??)
5. Work on scanning / spreadsheet.
Last week's update:
1. Make cookies - this week's cookie is a Toffee Coffee. I didn't make the Toffee Coffee (my excuse is that I didn't have the instant espresso needed). However, I made these chocolate chip toffee cookies. Super yummy.
2. Five more quilt blocks for Mackenzie's quilt -- done (pictures to be added later).
3. Vacuum (hardly worthy of putting on the list, but hopefully this will be an easy one) - FAIL
4. Continue scanning -- create spreadsheet. I didn't do any scanning but I did make progress on the spreadsheet.
5. Hang some pictures - FAIL
Friday, October 14, 2022
Sunday, October 9, 2022
THIS WEEK'S GOALS:
First, here's my list of goals for this week.
1. Make cookies - this week's cookie is a Toffee Coffee.
2. Five more quilt blocks for Mackenzie's quilt
3. Vacuum (hardly worthy of putting on the list, but hopefully this will be an easy one)
4. Continue scanning -- create spreadsheet
5. Hang some pictures
Okay, now the recap from last week:
2. Sew five blocks for Mackenzie's quilt - done
3. Clean my closet - done
4. Scan at least one letter / item per day
I did get some scanning done. One of the interesting things I scanned was a birth announcement from 1930 from my great aunt and uncle to my grandparents.
Nevada and I are baking cookies together -- remotely. We plan to make a different cookie every week from this book.
The first cookie was a chocolate sugar cookie. This is what they were supposed to look like:
Here are Nevada's:
Here are mine:
They tasted good, but were definitely too flat (not a cookie you can take to the office to share).
I believe the problem was one of three things:
- Old baking soda / baking powder;
- Oven too hot;
- Cookie dough too warm.
I am going to get new baking soda and powder this week which I'll use going forward to eliminate that as an issue.
I should get an oven thermometer -- I may do that, we'll see.
As for the third potential issue, I searched online and someone suggested baking one cookie first, a kind of test run. Then, if the cookie spreads too much, put the dough in the fridge for a bit (not sure how long). It's certainly worth trying.
Next week's cookie is the Coffee Toffee. Let's hope for better results.
Friday, October 7, 2022
Monday, October 3, 2022
I have been having trouble being motivated to do anything. I have all these ideas of what I'm going to do when I get home (or what I'll do on the weekend), and then as soon as I get home I do nothing. I sit on the couch and play games or watch TV or both.
So, I'm thinking that what I need is to have some goals -- and some accountability. By accountability, I mean that if maybe I post about it, I'll feel like I have to do it.
My plans for this week / this coming weekend:
1. Make cookies
2. Sew five blocks for Mackenzie's quilt
3. Clean my closet
4. Scan at least one letter / item per day
5. Work on knitted blanket
This seems reasonable - do-able.
I am one day late with this, but wanted to keep track of the walking I'm doing and my weight, as well as some of my other goals. So her...