Saturday, February 8, 2020

Virginia Beach

My brother-in-law passed away in early January.  So we flew to the East Coast for the funeral.  He lived in Virginia Beach and was buried in Sussex (?) Virginia.

We stayed with my mother-in-law (who is 94) for a couple of days before going down to Virginia Beach.  My mother-in-law lives across the road from my SIL who lives on a farm (in rural Virginia, two hours south of Washington, D.C.).


Here is my MIL with my youngest grandson.  Doesn't she look great?  If I live to 94, I hope to be in as good of health as she is.


My BIL was a career Army guy, so he had a military funeral.



We saw some family members we haven't seen in ages.  Here is our nephew, who currently lives in Austria.  I don't think we had seen him since before we moved to California -- so it's been at least 20 years, maybe more.


Here are the three oldest cousins -- the last time we saw our nieces was at my FIL's funeral -- in 2014.
They were almost teenagers when I began having kids, so there's a huge age difference between them and my kids -- and they also stopped coming around when my kids were little (for various reasons).


The picture below was taken when this same nephew got married .. unfortunately he's not in the picture.


After the funeral there was a reception at my other niece's house.  Here's a pic from there.  Hopefully the animation shows.


That night, my husband and I spent the night at a hotel in Virginia Beach -- it was the easiest thing to do .. (though there was room at my niece's and she had offered).  We needed the break and I'm glad we did it.


I took an early (ish) walk on the beach.


Not a great reason for a visit, but a good trip nonetheless.

1 comment:

Kate said...

So sorry for your family's loss. It's sad that only time that family's seem to get together are at funerals and weddings these days.

2024 - Week 8 - Feb 19 - 25

  Feb 21 - Nevada's Teddy Feb 22 - more of Teddy   Feb 24 - a new tent    Feb 25 - Popovers