Monday, January 25, 2021

Staying on Track -- or maybe just getting to the Track

A couple of Mark Twain quotes:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." 

"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not."

I continually struggle with motivation.  I have a list of 52 things to do this year but I feel overwhelmed with it all.  Like I've got so many things to do that I don't know where to start.  So, I watch TV and play games on my Kindle.  I do the basics, but anything else just seems to take too much effort.

For instance, I want to lose weight.  I know that the key to it is to eat less.  To eat less, I need to plan my meals.  To plan my meals, I need to make a list of the meals for the week (and at least some of those meals should be healthy).  Once I make the list, I need to see what I already have and what I need to get at the store (another list).  Then I need to go to the store.  Then I need to stick to my list.  Then I need to put the groceries away. Then I need to cook the meals and stick to my plan.  And at the end of the week, I have to do it all over again. 

So anyway, it feels like everything I want to do is like that - a real hassle and a ton of work and planning.  Getting started on things is so hard.

Enough whining.

I decided that the first thing I would do to achieve my lose weight/be more healthy goal was to drink more water.

 

Last Monday I decided I would drink one of these every day (one gallon).  I did it on Monday, but failed the rest of the week.  I'm not giving up, but I'm going to start smaller.  This week my goal is to drink at least 32 ounces of water a day.  If I am successful, I will bump it up next week.

I'm also going to have a step goal -- one that I can be successful at -- but I'll start that next week.

So, wish me luck in drinking more water.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am the worst water drinker!!! I like it super cold so once the ice melts I don’t want more. I like your idea to make the goal more manageable to start. I started my year with my goal to do 10,000 steps a day and when I set the goal I seemed to be averaging like 12,000 and then I went back to work sitting at my desk and almost immediately I dropped down to like 5,000-7,000 and thus I have been doing awful at this goal. I need to scale it back and try again.

Kate said...

Start small and think sustainable. Small changes add up over time and you are more likely develop habits that will carry over and help you keep up the life change you are looking to make.

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...