Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The 145th Running of the Kentucky Derby

So, #1 on my list this year was to attend the Kentucky Derby.  I don't know when I first started thinking about doing it, but we had decided it would be a fun thing to do.  I had hoped all the kids would come but it turned out to just be my YD and her husband.  Another friend (Jenn) and Nevada also came with us.
We flew into the Indianapolis airport on Thursday.. the flight was delayed two hours.  We then drove to Kentucky and stayed at the Hyatt in Louisville.

The day before the Derby is Kentucky Oaks -- it's a race with three-year old fillies.  Everyone wears pink.  Here's my YD and her husband ...


If I had known what it would be like, I would have gotten a pink something to wear ..






and now for Derby Day ...

  

my husband's bow tie -- I tied it.  You can tell a clip-on from a real one because the clip-ons are perfect -- this one is definitely not perfect!!









This was taken prior to the big race .. by then it was raining and kind of miserable.  We had clear ponchos to wear but got soaked anyway.


I highly recommend going, once, just for the experience. It was a wonderful time.  We did have some mint juleps .. (which I don't like at all) .. and here are the souvenir glasses to prove it.


2 comments:

Katie said...

So glad you got to do this! Looks like fun. I love Paul’s suit he seems so gangster.

Kate said...

Looks like a very fun experience. Love the photos, rain ponchos and all!

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...