Friday, January 11, 2013

Favorite Things Friday

Believe it or not, I originally created this post over a year ago and have been waiting for FTF to return since then.  My favorite this week is the old Eagle Harbor fog horn.  I think it used to sound like this.



Of course, the fog horn hasn't been in use for probably 40 years now, so I guess my favorite is really just a memory.  Anyway, this is a picture of the old fog horn building when the fog horn was still in use.  (I don't think "fog horn building" is the technical name, but that's what I'm calling it.)


Here is the fog horn building today; it's a museum.


Somewhere, there is a picture, taken by my mother, of me and my brother and sisters standing in front of this very building.  One of these days, I'll find it and get it scanned in.  Anyway, as we were standing there, getting photographed, the horn went off.  Needless to say, it scared the crap out of us.  A few years ago, my mother told me that she had asked the lighthouse keeper to blow the horn while we were standing there.  hmmm.  and I always thought I got my dry sense of humor from my father ....

I used to love it when the fog would roll in to the Harbor.  First you would hear the fog horn blasts from boats on the lake and then, eventually, in response, the fog horn in the harbor would start blowing.  It's been years since the fog horn has been in service, but just thinking about it, makes me smile.


Click here to see what others have as their favorites this week or link up at Quilting in My Pyjamas and share your favorite.

6 comments:

Katie said...

The good old foghorn.

Paulette said...

Wow, not at all what I thought it would sound like! The fact that your mom secretly asked that the foghorn be blown while you were standing there cracks me up.

Shay said...

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a fog horn. Like P that’s not what I thought it would sound like. Gotta say it sounds a lot like our trains down under when they blow their whistles coming into a station or across a crossing.

I loved this favourite Thea because it was so different and special. How sad that they dont blow fog horns at the Harbour now. From hearing about Eagle Harbour it’s definitely on my list of my visit places when I come to the US.

Kate said...

Very cool! Sounds like your Mom liked to keep you on your toes. What a fun memory.

seabreezequilts said...

I can imagine it going out across all that fog in the last picture. Great FTF actually bought the house to a stand still.

Anna said...

This is a great memory and I don't remember the fog horn blowing while we were in front of it, or maybe I do! How old do you think we were in that picture? Is it with the other ones of us sitting in the adirondack chairs with Granny and Gramp in front of cabin 10?

2024 - Week 8 - Feb 19 - 25

  Feb 21 - Nevada's Teddy Feb 22 - more of Teddy   Feb 24 - a new tent    Feb 25 - Popovers