Sunday, October 9, 2022

Cookies #1 - Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Nevada and I are baking cookies together -- remotely.  We plan to make a different cookie every week from this book.

 
The first cookie was a chocolate sugar cookie.  This is what they were supposed to look like:


Here are Nevada's:


 

Here are mine:


They tasted good, but were definitely too flat (not a cookie you can take to the office to share).

I believe the problem was one of three things:

  1. Old baking soda / baking powder;
  2. Oven too hot;
  3. Cookie dough too warm.

I am going to get new baking soda and powder this week which I'll use going forward to eliminate that as an issue.  

I should get an oven thermometer -- I may do that, we'll see.

As for the third potential issue, I searched online and someone suggested baking one cookie first, a kind of test run. Then, if the cookie spreads too much, put the dough in the fridge for a bit (not sure how long).  It's certainly worth trying.

Next week's cookie is the Coffee Toffee.  Let's hope for better results.
 

No comments:

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...