Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hoover Dam

While I was in Las Vegas, I went to see the Hoover Dam.  I didn't realize it was so close; just 30 miles away.  It was pretty amazing.  and on a beautiful day too!  It was a little warm but better than too cold.





This is the Hoover Dam Bypass .. it has another name, but that name is even longer -- amazingly, the bridge took longer to build than the dam.  It was finished in 2010, more than 70 years after the dam was finished.

This looks fake.

The lake on the other side of the dam.

The Nevada/Arizona border.  If it had been on the ground, I would have straddled the state line and been in two places at one time.  As it is, I was (in two places at one time), but it didn't look really cool.


Lisa, checking it out.

our feet, by the moon.

Definitely in Nevada.

The Hoover Dam from the bypass.


still in Nevada.

6 comments:

Helsie said...

All I can say is WOW !! A truely amazing place.
Cheers

Kate said...

Great pictures. I've been to Lake Mead, but didn't get to go to the dam. Very impressive.

Sara said...

I was a little bit jealous about vegas, but I'm massively jealous you got to go see the Hoover dam. I saw a documentary on it when I was about 8 and I've wanted to go see it ever since. There's this one little dam that we used to go camping at called the Rocklands Reservoir and it's tiny, maybe 150m across, and even that little itty bity dam is pretty amazing to me, that people can build something that would change the course of nature. I would love love love to go see a big one like the Hoover.

Shay said...

Fantastic pictures Thea . Ive heard about the Hoover dam but never really seen pictures. I had no idea of the sheer size of it!

Katie said...

It looks awesome! I'm glad you got to visit it.

Paulette said...

Very cool to see the bypass. That wasn't there when we visited (it was 113 in the shade that day!).

2024 - Week 8 - Feb 19 - 25

  Feb 21 - Nevada's Teddy Feb 22 - more of Teddy   Feb 24 - a new tent    Feb 25 - Popovers