Thursday, April 6, 2023

E is for Eagle Harbor

E is for ...

I had thought about Babar the Elephant. the books I adored as a child. but apparently that's not PC.  so I'll skip those for now.

So then back to Eagle Harbor.

I've probably mentioned before that my parents first started vacationing in Eagle Harbor in 1961 and they continued to go every year from 1963 to 2009 -- my father picked back up in 2011 and went until 2017.

Except for the first year, they stayed at the Lake Breeze Resort. I think up until 2009, they stayed in one of their cottages.  When we were kids there were seventeen cottages/cabins (or around that number).  There were only two that were big enough for our family, #17 and #10.  We mostly stayed in cabin 10.  It was on the road to the lighthouse - obviously really close to the lighthouse. 


Sometime in the 70's the owners of the Lake Breeze Resort sold all the cabins but one.  Unfortunately my parents didn't buy one.  But when my father retired, they rented the remaining cottage for the entire summer - from May through October.


I stopped going when I graduated from high school and only went back twice -- once when my second son was about 4 months old, and then once with all our kids in 1996 (I think).  It was really far away and kind of expensive for our family.

In 2004, I decided that I wanted to spend time with my parents and started going again.  I went for the next several years.  I drove my parents there when they were too old to do it themselves.  My kids helped drive them.  And then I began flying out there.  It was wonderful.

I went last summer with my kids and, except for an ugly incident with a neighbor, it was a great time.  

Should you ever want to escape from real life, it's a great place to do that.

1 comment:

Kate said...

How cool to have such a constant family place. It looks like a beautiful spot to spend some time.

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...