Tuesday, April 11, 2023

I is for ... Ice Cream

I is for ice cream.

I mean, who doesn't like ice cream.  My ice cream memories revolve around three things.

1 -- the Good Humor truck.

What's not to love.  They would come to the neighborhood and ring the bell and we would all come running!

2 -- Eagle Harbor - with the 25¢ cones

image from here

We used to go to the store when I was young and get penny candy, 25cent cones, and goodies like that.  Then when my kids went, they still had the ice cream but it was normal priced by then. The store has been closed since 2004 -- a sad thing because it was such a great place and historic, too.  (It had been there since Lincoln was president.)


3 - High's - in the summer after craft time at the elementary school.

I don't have any pictures of the High's store.  But after we were done with our crafts in the summer, we would walk from the school to the strip mall where we could get ice cream.  I always got chocolate and usually wore some of it home.  My oldest sister probably got in trouble for that.  Ah, well.

I still love ice cream and especially when we're in the U.P.  There I always get Mackinac Island Fudge -- because where else can you get that?

1 comment:

Kate said...

I agree, what's not to love about ice cream. I remember penny candies, my Grandfather would take us to town and we'd get those when we were little. The only bad thing about ice cream is the calories.

2024 : Week 11 - March 11 - 17

    March 11 - llama socks     March 13 - swimming         March 14 - hanging at the pool       March 15       March 16 - easter smashpillow...